Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Retirement!

Do you do "rustic" and "distressed"? I read a fellow stamper's blog recently (whom I adore!) that said she NEVER does distressing or sponging- just not her style. I thought about that for a moment and thought- "Gosh, how can she live without distressing sometimes??" Well, you've probably noticed that I do this a lot- not that I don't love a super clean style, I DO, but sometimes distressing can hide mistakes like ink smudges or uneven cuts, even an old cutting blade that roughs up the edge. It also lends nicely, I think, to masculine cards and more earthy and natural styles (like mine).

Anyway, I just found it interesting that some never do this and I still LOVE their cards! Neat! So what about you? Have you ever distressed or do you rely on these techniques often?

In any case, this card is all about distressing! First I clear embossed the pheasant then used an oval template to sponge a one-layer "frame", with a bit more ink around the bird to make him stand out more. Isn't Soft Suede (our new In Color) just perfect for this?!! It reminds me of those old time sepia photographs!

After I stamped the wheat from this same set- Autumn Days- I punched the horizontal slot (vertically- LOL) to thread the dotted grosgrain though. Distressed the edges, stamped the sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes with the SAMJ then.... brace yourself, it was hard... I crumpled the whole thing like it was going in the trash! You should've seen the looks on my kids' faces!

Hope you like!
Thanks for stopping!
~Kristin

PS- This was scheduled to post on Tuesday night but it didn't work. Sorry 'bout that!

11 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, Kristin!! I love distressing and sponging, but I don't do them all the time. I seem to find that certain sets take to these techniques better than others!! I love your card.......the duotone is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!! Love the shading you created!! Hmmm, I do distress, like tearing, ripping, scrunching, rough edges, etc, but I don't sponge! For ink distressing, I use the "direct to paper" technique. I don't like touching the sponge, it feels weird, and my fingers get icky. I have a lot of weird hang ups! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo! Another one of yours to CASE. This is great! My nephew will be 15 the end of August and loves to bird hunt, so this will be perfect!

    You're SO funny ... a vertical horizontal punch! :)

    I like clean lines, but I also distress, crumple and sponge all the time. Couldn't do without it ... for the very reasons you mentioned.
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your card, Kristin! I'm kinda glad your scheduled post didn't work out, because it was wonderful to see it for the first time when I opened my swap package. A real wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just fabulous, love the texture! I very rarely distress or sponge, I kind of forget about those techniques I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing more sponging now than I used to. It is hard to do it 'right' I discovered the first time. I am also distressing edges more (but mainly on masculine cards, I agree it lends itself to that type of card)
    I love this card it uses one of my fav sets from the new IBC and your frame is subtle yet stunning!
    (I have been having problems with pre-dated posts too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!!! I knew this was your card as soon as I saw it, too (although you did give me a hint since you told me you crumpled up your paper). I love the distress and if it is done right it looks fabulous, just like this!!! great work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! I'm going to give it a try. I distress some of my designs, but not nearly enough. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a really gorgeous card - love the rustic look you created

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to distress and sponge! AND I love this card!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card, and I love the distressed look of it! I'm going to have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much- your comments make my day! (if you are a spammer- GO AWAY! I will not publish your comment or your link to your crappy website! You are the reason I no longer allow anonymous comments. Jerks!)